Less Clutter Reduce Inbox Anxiety Increase Productivity
Cloudmark Content CategoriesTM moves perceived clutter out of the Inbox allowing users to concentrate on important person to person (P2P) messages.
Over time email users provide their email addresses to organizations who subscribe them to various lists to receive updates, promotions and mailing list messages. While the majority of mailings generated by these organizations are legitimate, user perception is that they’re spam because they are unwanted. By tagging of specific classes of messages and enabling the messaging platform to automatically move them out of the user inbox view and placing them in separate folders or tabs, the user experience improves and user perception of spam detection is increased.
Flexible Inbox Management
Cloudmark Content Categories enable quick and easy implementation of Priority Inbox features within any webmail application. Specific categories of messages can be shown in separate folders or tabs, depending on the end user’s preference. Content Categories help users to sort through the ever-increasing volume of email messages received that are of interest but do not require immediate attention.
Features and Benefits
- Moves less important email messages out of the primary inbox and into separate category folders or tabs.
- Categories are based on what users value most for more granular classification of legitimate messages.
- Enables creation of new global, perdomain, or per-user delivery policies.
- Works with new or existing webmail applications and IMAP-enabled mail store servers.
- Provides users with more control over their inbox via categorization and priority inbox functionality.
- By clearing out the clutter, users can prioritize and respond to important messages faster.
- Enhances the user experience, gains user confidence in service and quality.
- Moves clutter “out of sight, out of mind.”
Email Service Providers
Content Categories can be easily embedded in new or existing webmail applications and IMAP servers by taking advantage of the Content Category information.
Rapid introduction of Priority Inbox features is simple and straightforward by combining categories with delivery policies that specify the action and destination for each Content Category - or combination of Content and Threat Category.
Categories were first introduced by Google in 2013 and are currently used by over a third of Gmail users.
- Social/Forums and Promotions are the most popular categories enabled by end users
- Updates were the most read type of email delivered to end user inboxes
- Categorizing and moving Social/Forum and Promotions out of the inbox can reduce clutter by 75% and key to dealing with “Inbox Overload”
Email Volume by Category
(Source: The Email Marketer’s Guide to Gmail Categories, Return Path, 2017)